[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2960)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2960)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2960)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2960)
Det Store Dyret • Se emne - Fire Husky: 3d printing & støping i plastikk
Diskusjonsforum Om oss Dyrets Fem Bud Annonsering Søk Butikk
(agep) Thomas the Tank Engine - 3D Printing
(aktuba) Musikkvideo
(dboydesign) Stewart at the gym
(Varegg) Handcannon
(johnblunt) Alien Priest
(BjarneTv) korfilm for FN - Forbruk
(Rcart) Nett-troll
(orsvend) Noen nye illustrasjoner
(aktuba) Kortfilm med VFX
Arkivet
Viktig informasjon!

Vi har nå stengt Det Store Dyret for registreringer. Det Store Dyret lever nå på Discord. Send meg en epost på ADMIN krøllalfa STOREDYRET dott COM hvis dere ønsker invitasjon!

Fire Husky: 3d printing & støping i plastikk

Diskusjoner, tips og hjelp.

Fire Husky: 3d printing & støping i plastikk

Innlegg Bard 09 Nov 2008, 20:58

Jeg så posten til SuperRune denne uken og synes det var morsomt at det var andre i Oslo som driver med akkurat det jeg har gjort på de siste månedene! Nemlig rapid prototyping (3d printing) av modeller og formstøping i resin/plastikk. Jeg tenkte jeg kunne dele erfaringene mine med StoreDyret og til bloggen min, så håper dere ikke har noe imot at jeg skriver dette på engelsk. Jeg vet fra min egen erfaring at det ikke er så lett å finne gode ressurser til å forstå denne prosessen, så da kan det være greit å gi tilbake litt til de som har tenkt å begi seg ut på dette.

Rapid Prototyping:

I've been looking into rapid prototyping for a few months, and finally started getting some quotes from different RP companies. While doing that, I uploaded an STL file to Shapeways.com and got a quote for 400 USD. At a price like that, I wasn't quite prepared to go straight to ordering. However, they happened to have a competition to get a free model made and shown off at Siggraph 2008 which I was lucky enough to be one of the winners of.

Blender Nation SIGGRAPH 2008 Shapeways YouTube.

(Jump to 2:01 to see the husky toy)

The model looks like this.
Bilde

This is quite impressive print quality. From what I can tell this is their "White Detail" level. The details come out very nicely, however its texture is a bit rough and not at the sort of smoothness a normal plastic sculpt would be. I tried sanding it down with limited results, the texture was still visible; though smoother to the touch than before.
At the size of 10x10x10 cm's the shapeway print costs $471.19 including shipping. This is quite a high price compared to some of the other quotes I eventually received.

Other quotes at 9x9x9cm:
Scimitar Prototyping Inc (): $536 (plus shipping)
Steven Guevara (a3dcreator@gmail.com): $195 (plus shipping)
Carsten Rosenbohm (cr@neue-freunde.org): 360 Euros (plus shipping)
3D Art To Part (): $164 (including shipping)

3D Model:

Bilde
Bilde
Bilde

I am by no means a master 3d modeler, I just started learning this last year so I am sure many would find my polygons horrifying! However, I did manage to get the husky to a level that I was quite happy with. Despite some strange edge loops... ^-^
Regardless, with enough smoothing in Maya, it worked out. Shapeways (and most of the others) required I provide them with an STL file. I had to convert an OBJ file into STL via a PC app, which proved to be quite the task as the size ratio needed quite a bit of tweaking. Luckily, Shapeways now has this handy new tutorial that will make the process easier:

Step 1: The Silicone Mold

Material used:
Elastosil M4503 by Wacker Silicones combined with Wacker Haerter T-35. Random clay for the first layer of silicone poured, use Klean Klay or something similar instead.

Bilde

The first thing I did was to get a big bag of my LEGO collection as a kid. I estimated the measure I would need to fit my model without using too much silicone but still remaining within a safe limit to avoid a flimsy mold. I then proceeded to build a giant castle of LEGO! To my surprise, this was not as much fun as it was when I was a kid ;)

Bilde

After the Lego was built, I filled half of it with clay and inserted the toy inside. As you can see, I put the body into the clay top-down. This was actually a really bad idea! It could make it nearly impossible to extract the casts as the body is stuck inside the silicone. What I should have done is to have flipped it around 90 degrees to the side.

After this, I added small holes with a pencil in the clay all around the model, so that the silicone would fill inside and create a locking mechanism to combine the two pieces later. Someone on Flickr pointed out that I had made these too deep, but they served me well through the process as they are. I then created two vents using some pencils at the ears and a pouring tract at the top. That is where you will be later be pouring the resin into. This tract should be much larger than the pencil-sized ones I made. It should also be formed as an up-side down cone for ideal pouring. I had to cut this with a scalpel at a later point as once again some of the excellent people from the "Resin is the new Vinyl" Flickr group pointed out.

Bilde

The left ventilation tract was a very bad idea, I filled this up with silicone as it makes no sense. The resin would just pour out to the side!

Bilde

I then built up the LEGO so it would cover the entire husky. I mixed together the two-component silicone (Elastosil M4503 & T-35) and poured it down onto the husky from as high up as possible to avoid air bubbles. Remarkably, this technique and/or choice of silicone had no air bubbles at all. The silicone then needed 20 hours to cure.

Bilde

After that was done, I turned it upside down, removed the clay and then poured another batch of silicone on the other side, filling up the LEGO castle.

Bilde

After another 20 hours, my two pieces of silicone were done! This silicone didn't even need the silicone mold release spray that the Smooth-On YouTube videos say you should use. It came out quite easily, but I'm sure it might be even easier if you did use some of that spray. I think it depends on the silicone and what your model is made of.

Bilde

All ready for casting...

Step 2: The Resin Pour

Material used:
Axson F32

Bilde

Once the mold was done I measured the amount of resin needed by filling it with normal rice. This gave me a decent estimate as to how much I would need to pour to get a one figure. Mine ended up at 4 dl, however it would I soon realize I only needed 3 dl.

Bilde

I then added rubber bands around the structure of the mold to keep it together and avoid spillage from resin. I first used a series of cardboard pieces around the edges, but this isn't really necessary if you have a small and sturdy mold. I made a little cardboard box to put it on.

Axson F32's second component is highly toxic and should only be used in a well ventilated area. If you breathe it in directly, you'll have to spend a week in hospital. Doesn't sound much fun. Unless you're into nurses or second hand infections. Then it's great!

Bilde
Bilde

So, you'll probably want to get a big fan and do this next to a window. It might also be a very good idea to have a proper gas mask just to be sure.

After the mold was ready and my ventilation was in order, I poured together the two components of the Axson F32. I set a timer for 2 minutes, stirred it around for 1 minute and then poured it into the mold at a height and titled it slightly while pouring. Once it was filled up, I gave some light karate chops on each side to make the resin fill into every cavity. Doing this tends to help avoid bubbles.

Bilde

Here it is, the first resin cast I did!
As you can see, it's pretty much a perfect replica of the rapid prototype model, even the rougher texture has been replicated. At this point I realized my model was stuck inside of the silicone because I had put the model in the wrong way. Had I rotated it by 90 degrees, it would be much easier to extract from the mold. However, I managed to fix this by cutting a line in silicone from the chest down. The models after this had some additional resin around the chest, but this was easily removable.

Bilde
Bilde

After the I cast a few more models, I started to sand it down while spraying it with a primer, then sanding, then priming, sanding, etc. x4. At this point, they look pretty much perfect.

Bilde
Bilde
Bilde
Bilde

I then sprayed them with some normal Montana spray cans to see how they would look in color! The ideal thing to do now would be to perfect one casted model to make a master mold. This would give mea perfect casting every time and I would not have to spend ages on priming and sanding for each model.

I hope this little tutorial was useful to you! Check out my resources list underneath to learn from the places I learned...

Tips and Tricks:
-Pour the silicone from as high as you can to avoid air bubbles
-Flip the two-part molds to an 60-70 degree angle when pouring the resin
-Remember to make ventilation shafts. The more the merrier!
-Wear protective gear!

Resources:
Resin is the New Vinyl Flickr Group

My Flickr Set of the Process

Rapid Prototyped Chocolate Monkey Faces

Yoshii's ZBrush Toys

Sci-Proto:

Shapeways:

Hvor du får tak i materialene i Oslo:
Waldm. Ellefsen AS, http://www.we.no Tlf. 22 74 32 32
Wilh. Willumsen AS, http://www.willumsen.no

Priser: 9 liter Axson F32: 968,- inkl. mva.
Silikon: 3 kg: ca 500,- inkl. mva.
/Bård Hole Standal
http://www.bard.co - Motion Graphics Designer hos NRK
http://www.hellobard.com - Indie Game Developer
Brukerens avatar KONGE!
Bard

Re: Fire Husky: 3d printing & støping i plastikk

Innlegg Jinx 09 Nov 2008, 23:40

Fantastisk post, Bård. Veldig detaljert og informativ! :)

- Colin
Colin McMahon
Art Director & Concept Developer
http://www.mottimotti.com
Brukerens avatar KONGE!
Jinx

Innlegg Mikademius 10 Nov 2008, 01:41

Utrolig bra. Dette er meget inspirerende. Dyret gjør virkelig skikkelig håndarbeid om dagen. Applaus!
Martin Andersson -COO The Floor Above AB.
http://www.thekove.com | http://www.animation-hut.no
Brukerens avatar KONGE!
Mikademius

Innlegg Andre 11 Nov 2008, 00:43

Dette var et helt strålende innlegg! Veldig kult at du viser oss steg for steg hva du gjør. Jeg er sikker på at jeg kommer til å benytte meg av denne posten som en bruksanvisning en gang!

I tillegg er modellen din veldig fin :)

Andre

Innlegg Teben 11 Nov 2008, 01:47

Utrolig fin post Bård, allitd like spennende å se arbeidet ditt.
Dette, sammen med Rune sin tråd vil garantert være en stor ressurs for mange.

Bendik

Teben

Innlegg Bard 11 Nov 2008, 10:06

Takk for alle hyggelige kommentarer! Håper posten min kan hjelpe noen i prosessen, det var jo litt keitete å finne ut av dette her på egen hånd :)

Her er forresten bilde av 17 huskyer klar for priming! Tok sin tid med dremel og sandpapir, tror jeg har fått resin i alle luftveier og mer enn nok utslett på huden ;)

Bilde
/Bård Hole Standal
http://www.bard.co - Motion Graphics Designer hos NRK
http://www.hellobard.com - Indie Game Developer
Brukerens avatar KONGE!
Bard

Innlegg Mikademius 11 Nov 2008, 14:05

The occlusion army :)
Martin Andersson -COO The Floor Above AB.
http://www.thekove.com | http://www.animation-hut.no
Brukerens avatar KONGE!
Mikademius

Gå til Diskusjoner

Hvem er i forumet

Brukere som leser i dette forumet: Ingen registrerte brukere og 1 gjest